Wednesday, March 5, 2008

New Recipes!

These past few days have been good! It's easy to eat healthy when there is a lot of healthy food in the house, but easy to eat badly when there is bad food. So I made a goal to use every last drop of the good food I have because I don't want to waste any. Also, I want to show Austin that I'm serious about it and will use it, because if I show him that it's something I'll stick with then he'll be more apt to agree that we buy a VitaMix, hehe. I also finished my recipe book! Of course it's just a fraction of the recipes out there, with all the books and online recipes, but I wanted to make something that I could share w/friends and family in case they ever want some healthy alternatives. Well, I'm almost positive now that I am indeed lactose intolerant, because I haven't eaten dairy in days, and my bloaty, gassy symptoms stopped. I was never a big dairy person in the first place, and now I think it will help me avoid things like cheese. Plus, I think that giving the excuse of "I'm lactose intolerant" when declining dairy is more acceptable than "I'm a raw foodist" lol. So I read something ironic today, along the lines of my last post. As I was coming to terms with the fact that I'll never have a figure like Nicole Kidman's, I read in a magazine that she's "wanted Marilyn Monroe curves her whole life". I guess it's true for all of us, even celebrities, that we only want what we can't have. I am for sure making my pizza bread tonight, finally! I also found this recipe for raw veggie pizza with a nut based crust that looks way good, so I'll make it soon and share it.

So the other day by accident I made a shake that tasted just like an Orange Julius! It was sooo good. I also made some chocolate pudding, and some raw spaghetti!:

Orange Julius

half a banana
juice from 2 oranges
8 oz almond milk, or vanilla almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract (omit if using van alm milk)
ice

It comes out very nice and frothy, just like a "real" orange julius. Scrumdidlyumptious!

Chocolate Pudding

1 avocado
1/4 C carob powder
squirt of agave nectar
1 tsp vanilla
water to blend

Ok, so I just put all this in a blender, adding water as I went...but...I'm pretty sure this recipe would be TONS yummier if instead of water I used almond milk, and used an electric mixer to make it creamier instead of my crappy blender. I could also substitute cacao powder instead of carob, but for me, that would be way too chocolaty.

It doesn't look very creamy but that's my blender's fault.




Raw Spaghetti

sauce:
1 tomato
dash of oragano
dash of garlic powder
drizzle of olive oil

noodles:
zucchini strips

Just pour sauce on top and eat! I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a huge fan of zucchini, so I didn't eat much of this. I am thinking of trying butternut squash next time instead. The sauce was good though.