Saturday, May 3, 2008

Summer = Produce Heaven

I went to Macys foodstore this weekend, and yipee!! I am starting to see the first beginnings of summer based on the beautiful produce on display and the beautiful prices as well >;). Giant avocados, 4 for 5 dollars! Giant juicy pears, perfect tomatoes, giant pineapples...yum yum. The only drawback is...they're not...organic :*(. Now, it used to be that I got really hung up on this, because I know most raw foodists will absolutely not eat anything non-organic, but you know, I think that eating more fruits and veggies, even if they aren't organic, is still better than not. Don't get me wrong, I believe all the hype against the pesticides that are used, and I'd love to grow my own garden as soon as I can get some land, but until then I'm not going to stress over it. If the kicker is that I won't eat raw because I can't afford organic, then I won't buy organic. Still, I have found some great, cheaper organic foods that are worth the extra 10 cents per pound or so, including apples, bananas, spinach, lettuce, and sprouts. I have heard that organic broccoli is pretty cheap too, so I'll look into it.

Thankfully I live near peach country, where the hugest, most beautiful, tastiest, juiciest, most scrumptious peaches I've ever eaten are grown. This summer I am buying a box full! And I'll eat them all myself! There are also local farmers around here that grow cherries, one of my faves. I am doing what I can to find a farmer's market around here, because summer is really a raw foodists happy time (if you're like me where summer is actually a season, not a way of life). I'm sorry that I get into raptures over produce, lol. Speaking of it, I'm gonna go buy me some, and then bask in the sun...sounds like a satisfying Saturday to me :). Adios for now!