Saturday, June 28, 2008

It's been too long!

Oy vey! I know I should update my blog more but I haven't had much to say lately! Well, I should have lots to say, but I wait so long to write that I forget everything that was interesting to talk about!

So, it's been almost (1 month shy or so) a year since I first decided to try raw, and I must say that I have learned sooooo much not only about the lifestyle but about myself. I've been on a few months, off a few months, but overall I'd say this year has been about half raw, half not. I know I shouldn't get down on myself though, because I was transitioning from a fullblown SAD diet, junk food and fast food every day, to a raw vegan diet. Hello, that transition is going to be hard! The more I read about the raw diet the more people I read about who have had the same challenges. In fact, I read about 1 person who took 5 years to transition to raw. This makes me feel so much better in knowing that I don't have to be perfect, just keep trying! I may not eat the healthiest on the planet, but I certainly eat light years healthier than I did a year ago. I've come to learn that the raw diet is not a destination, it's a journey, and even if I were to master the eating part it may still take years for me to embrace it emotionally.

Lately I've been doing the best I can with making good choices, and it's funny because instead of telling myself "I'm gonna eat 100% raw, or 90% raw today" I just eat what I want, and many times I do end up eating 100%. But I've decided we live in a very complicated world, that offers many yummy tasting foods, and that most things should be taken in moderation, and some things avoided completely. My goal is to get to the point where I don't have to consciously think about what I am eating, just eat what I want - and have these "wants" be the healthiest foods. Every day is a journey! I've also decided that I am not going to weigh myself or measure myself except in monthly increments. I don't want my life to revolve around my scale. In fact, I don't even want to really know how much I weigh because I don't want it to even to be an issue. Someday I will get to this point!

So anyway, enough with my blather. I found this recipe from Russell James who happens to be an amazing raw food chef. If you go to the link it will take you to his blog, and you can even sign up for his newsletter for even more delish stuff. The recipe is kinda complex, but it looks soooo worth it - just take a look at that pic!

Pomegranate Cheesecake with Clementine Gelato


For the base

1c cashews
2T agave
1/4c coconut oil
2t vanilla extract
¼t salt
2t lemon juice

• First process cashews to flour.

• Add remaining ingredients and process again.

• Press into the bottom of 9” springform pan and place in fridge whilst working on filling.

For the filling

3c cashews, soaked
1c coconut oil
1/2c lemon juice
2T vanilla extract
1/2t salt
3/4c agave
1 1/2c pomegranate juice
1/2c beetroot juice (optional, just for colour)

• Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.

• Pour on top of the base.

• Place in the freezer to set. Once it’s set, the cheesecake can be moved to, and stored in, the fridge until ready to eat.

For the Clementine Gelato

2c cashews
½c coconut butter/oil
¼c agave nectar
1t vanilla extract
1c almond milk*
1c clementine juice
2t clementine zest
Pinch salt

• Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.

• Pour mixture into a rectangular container and place in the freezer to set.

*Almond milk is made by blending 1c of almonds with 3c of water, and straining through a nut milk bag or sieve.