Monday, June 30, 2008

Musings

So...I haven't yet left for my trip (I was supposed to leave 6 hrs ago >.<) so to pass the time I went through some of my other blog posts because I had forgotten a lot of the things I wrote. It's kinda like reading back through a journal and some of the things I said made me go "what?!" lol. I suspected they would though, since all of us are constantly changing, especially me (and my ideas). So I was reading one of my old posts where I said that I would "probably still eat molten chocolate lava cake once in awhile, because there was truly no raw version that could taste that good". The funny thing is, as of now I am not even craving that cake whatsoever! The thought of eating it just makes me cringe almost because my body can no longer easily handle that much sugar. I could probably take one bite and I'd be through. Now I'm sure that there is no raw version that would be exactly like the original, but why should it have to? When I break this down I think, "why do I want to eat molten chocolate lava cake?" and the answer is "chocolate!!!...and the compliment of ice cream on the side". Now, I've never been a huge ice cream fan (or dairy fan in general), so raw ice creams completely satisfy me. And I have seen some magnificent looking raw chocolate desserts which look even better than the lava cake. It's so funny how I hold on to certain cooked foods because somewhere deep down I feel like I need them, when really it's just the sugar addiction talking. On that note, I wanted to share another recipe from Russell James that looks to satisfy even the most rabid choco-holic.

Marbled Chocolate and Orange Tavoletta


For the crust

3/4c carob powder
1c almonds
1/2c dates
4T coconut butter
2t vanilla extract
2t cinnamon
1/4t salt

1. First process nuts, cinnamon, salt and carob powder into small crumbs.

2. Add dates, coco butter and vanilla extract and process again.

3. Press into the bottom of 9” square pan and place in fridge whilst working on filling.


Note: Before making this chocolate you should place the grated cacao butter in the dehydrator to melt. Alternatively you can melt it in a bowl over another bowl of hot water
.

For the marbling

1c cashews
1T agave
1/4c coconut oil/butter
1/2c water
5T melted cacao butter

1. Mix all ingredients in a high power blender until completely smooth.

For the filling

2c cashews
1c orange juice
1T orange zest
2c cacao powder
1 1/2c grated cacao butter
2T vanilla
1c agave nectar

1. Mix the cashews, orange juice, orange zest, vanilla, and agave nectar in a vita-mix until smooth.

3. Add cacao butter and cacao powder, and blend again.

4. Pour chocolate mixture onto base and use a spatula to achieve a level surface.

5. Drizzle the marbling mixture over the top in lines using a plastic bottle or a spoon. Drag a toothpick across the top to create the marble effect.

I realize that I share a lot of dessert recipes...but hey, can ya blame me?!

No comments: