Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Snacks!

So, I never re-posted after I did my juice fast, which was about 2-3 days, but I did feel better after awhile, and I didn't even feel hungry. I think that I'm going to try it again once I get a juicer and can actually make some real juice!

Anyways...I signed up again on the Raw Food Talk forums today because I really do need the support. Today I've decided that it's time to make the change (again) and get back on track to raw. I know I'm constantly falling off and getting back on the wagon, but I figure as long as I don't give up then things will start to get easier.

So I've decided to start swimming again! It's such a fun way to get in shape, and it really is so aerobic and builds muscle as well. Today I'm going to WSU to check out their pool to see what's up and if I want to go there (I might as well since I can get in for free).

So here are 2 recipes for today, together they'd make for one tasty snack! I am going to make this as soon as I can dehydrate the crackers!!

Chunky Almond Hummus

Ingredients:

* 2 cups soaked almonds
* ½ cup tahini
* 1 large garlic clove, minced
* 2 large lemons, juice of
* ¼ to ½ teaspoons Celtic sea salt (to taste)
* 1 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
* 1 teaspoon basil

* Almonds should be soaked for 8 hrs

Directions:

1. Break down the almonds using a coffee bean grinder or food processor.
2. Put the broken down almonds into a food processor along with all the other ingredients. Try to achieve a smooth consistency. Add a little water if necessary.
3. Process until you have it the way you like it. Some people like chunky bits of nut to remain, while others like it smooth - or you could take half out while chunky and process the rest to smoothness - they actually do taste a little different!
4. Serve with green vegetables, such as lettuce, cabbage, and kale, or spread on flax
crackers. Also good, of course, as a dip.

And to eat the with the yummy hummus...

Flax seed crackers

There are many versions of flax crackers because you can pretty much add whatever you want to them! Here is a recipe from Karen Knowler that I tweaked a little:

2 cups flax seeds
½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
2 cups fresh tomatoes
Juice of 1 lemon
1 clove of fresh garlic +/or ½ large onion, chopped

What to do:

  1. Blend all ingredients together in a food processor. Add water if a little too dry.
  2. Press mixture flat onto a Paraflexx sheet into a large square or rectangle, making sure that the mixture stands only a few millimeters tall. (The thicker the cracker the harder to eat and the longer to dry).
  3. Score the size of crackers you’d like with a knife or spatula before dehydrating. (I usually score the large square 3x3 or 4x4 depending on what I want to use them for).
  4. Dehydrate around 115°F - 125°F overnight and flip over once one side is dry. Dry to completion.
  5. Store in an airtight container, somewhere close to hand for when the cravings strike!

2 comments:

Sara Bosler Castro said...

YAY! I can post on your blog now! I had a lot of great things to say earlier that I couldnt, but now I've forgot them. You're awesome and we need to have our RAWSOME DAY! ok? Ok. Love your favorite sister in the world.

Rachael said...

Yay! Thanks for commenting. I can't figure out how to show the comments without having to click on the link...hmmm....

We should sooo have our raw day soon, like in a few weeks. I have so many good recipes! I'll come up with a few choices and we can vote on what to make.