Wednesday, January 13, 2010

All you need is LOVE!

Although I really do hate the whole New Years Resolution thing, only because it's not taken very seriously. I do think that we should reevaluate ourselves often and try to find things to work on! As for me, I think of the saying: "God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I'm so far behind I'll never die!". This is so true. But, this year I've decided that I'm going to change my mindset. I'm sure I've said this before, and I'll say it again...I HATE DIETS! Self deprivation just doesn't work! I've also realized that motive makes all the difference. Why do I want to be healthy? Better question, why should I be healthy? I truly believe that for myself, the only way that I can answer this is to give myself a sense of accountability. If I truly believe that my body is a gift given to me and that it will transcend death someday, then I need to take that belief seriously. 1 Corinthians 3: 16 says "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" The answer for why should I is quite simply, "because it's one of the greatest gifts I've been given, and it my duty to take care of it".

Another one of my goals in my life, and one I want to focus on this year, is to learn mastery of mind over body. This is why I like yoga so much, because that is what it teaches. It's true that the mind and body are invariably connected in varying degrees, but the more we can separate the two, and learn "mind over matter", the more that we can see our bodies more as vessels, and not our "true selves". Don't I want the vessel that houses my true self to be the best I can make it? Yes! So, it's my mind set that needs to change.

So, after much pondering, I've decided that it all boils down to one word...LOVE! I'm throwing the words deprivation and self denial out the window to go lie in a muddy puddle somewhere, and I'm embracing the word love. It is my motive! I am not ever going to get healthy with a mindset of self deprivation. I am going to get healthy with a mindset where I love my body so much that I'm going to treat it right. Scenario: an apple vs. a donut. Self deprivation says "You totally should not eat that donut, it's so bad for you, force yourself to choose the apple." But self loves says "That apple is going to do so much good for your body, it's just what your body needs to work optimally! Choose that one!" Now, it's going to take years for me to master this mind set, I know it, but it's my ultimate goal!

3 comments:

Scott and Kaitlin said...

Rachael! I read your blog too!! And that's such an awesome way of looking at food--and the right way! :) You're awesome and I look forward to reading and trying out some of your raw recipes!!

Rachael said...

Yay! Thanks Kaitlin!

Bec, Tim and Boys said...

Rachael, I love your blog and feel inspired when I read what you write! You are amazing! I love how you think!