Sunday, February 7, 2010

Don't do what I did...

I am actually seeing some results from all my hard work!...but they aren't exactly the ones I was hoping for. I was so gung ho for exercising about 3 weeks ago that I seriously was doing my aerobic dvd and yoga almost every day! I felt really good, until my ankles started to get sore. I figured it was just sore muscles, and that they'd feel better once I exercised more, but the pain kept getting worse, until the point where I couldn't walk without pain. So I figured, I better stop. I went to the doctor, but since I don't have insurance I wasn't about to pay for x-rays, and he told me that I either strained the ligaments in my inner ankles, or I might have stress fractures. Joy! Apparently my feet are slightly pronated, and flat (I never knew), and since I was working out without shoes (in my carpeted room), and jumping around and twisting, it was a recipe for disaster. So please, don't be stupid like me, and wear good shoes that are supportive for your unique feet! Better yet, get a medical examination before working out, especially if you've been sedentary for awhile. I know that everyone recommends that, but hardly anyone actually does it! Also, the scale at the doctor's office said that I was actually heavier than what I started out as, whereas my Wii Fit said that I had lost 10 lbs. So I am at a loss as to how much I really weigh, but I guess that's sort of a good thing because I don't want to be preoccupied about weight, just muscle tone.

It was so hard the first few days when I had to just sit around and be lazy. I felt so dejected and frustrated, and I just wanted to cry. I felt like there was no use in trying to be healthy if I wasn't seeing dramatic results, except for those of the injury kind! But of course these were just old, plaguing emotions that need to be conquered just as much as the food emotions, and I'd only been working out for 3 weeks, so what can I expect, really? My body will start to heal itself and release it's extra fat (energy!) when it's ready, I know it. I am wearing 2 foot/ankle braces, just soft velcro things, and they seem to be helping. If the pain doesn't go way in 2 weeks I have to go back and get x-rays, and I'm praying I won't have to! I can still do yoga as long as I don't put too much weight on my ankles, so I don't feel like too much of a lazy bum. It's such a shame because my aerobic dvd (Jillian Michael's 30 day shred) was kicking my butt in a good way, and it's so effective (apparently a little too much so in my case)! I am going to start it up again, but with good shoes next time! Haha. I also can't wait until it gets warmer so that I can start biking more, and playing tennis. So the moral of this story: To get healthy requires perseverance, and not getting discouraged to the point of giving up whenever life throws a stone in your path. Keep doing whatever you can, and work around it! I am still trying to learn this! Good nutrition is also going to be more important than ever now!

5 comments:

Bec, Tim and Boys said...

Oh my gosh, that ALWAYS happens to me! We must be related! My ankles don't start hurting, but I always get so sick after I just jump into a work out routine after being sedentary! Last time I got the chills and a flu like bug, and then after resting for a month, tried working out again with renewed vigor and got sick again! Maybe I'm allergic to exercise??? Hmmmm.......
Any way, I really hope you get better and think about you all the time!

Also, do you want to maybe illustrate a chidren's book for me? I have a pretty good idea. My email is clarkson_rebecca@yahoo.com. Email me and we can "talk" about it!

Leah said...

Ouch!!! The only thing I have ever done without shoes is Yoga... I can't wait to be able to start that up again and also go to the rec center and start working out again.
So you have flat feet, that is no fun. I have the opposite problem I have an extremely high arch, so I can injure my feet easily if I don't have the right shoe on.
As for the scale at the Doctor's office those things are totally off. I always weigh between 5-10 lbs. more then on any other scale. I think it's because you are wearing regular clothing and shoes, and at home you are either not wearing anything or a lighter clothing. At my last Doctor's appointment I wore different shoes for the first time my whole pregnancy and I actually lost a pound. I know there is no way I actually lost a pound because I'm bigger, I figure it had to be the shoes. LOL
I am proud of you and hopefully you can get back to working out soon. Just make sure you wear good shoes with support.

Kaytee said...

Wii Fit Scale is a liar! I never trust it. Also, I always exercise with my shoes off. I think I wont be doing that anymore. I signed up to do a 5K Mud Run and I need my ankles for that!

Anonymous said...

Good grief, lady! I hope you don't have to get xrays and stuff. take it easy though. Object lessons suck, don't they?

Rachael said...

Becky that sound so rad about the children's book, I'm so emailing you! That made me laugh about being addicted to exercise :) I think I am too