Monday, September 22, 2008

Recipes galore!

Ok so it's not really "galore" but I have a few things to share that I made that I thought actually tasted really good! First I made the key lime pie recipe from Alissa Cohen's book, but I modified it a bit (the crust).

Key Lime Pie Tarts

Crust: 1 C dates
2 C soaked almonds
about half a cup shredded coconut (I use dried because it's much easier)
about 2 Tbs of coconut oil (just to make it stickier)

pat it down in muffin tins or tart tins and deydrate for about 12 hrs (or until hard)

Filling: 1 C soaked dates
1 large avocado
3 whole limes, peeled

Mix up thoroughly in food processor and pour into cups. Garnish with coconut! These are tart but yummy!




Ok I took this recipe from Raw, the Uncook Book

Milkshake: 2/3 cups favorite nuts (I used cashews), soaked for about 2 hrs*
2 C water
1 Tbs vanilla extract
2/3 C maple syrup ( I suppose you could substitute with honey)

Blend all together and then pour into ice cube trays to freeze. Once frozen, let thaw for 5 minutes, then blend for a ice cream-like treat!

*If you don't strain the nuts they will retain their pulp which gives the milkshake a grainy texture. For more smooth taste use a nut milk bag or cheesecloth and strain the nuts after blending.



This is also from Raw, but I left out the dates and raisins which was very bad, because my cookies were not very sweet! :(

Oatmeal Cookies: 2 C oat groats

1/2 C raisins

1/2 C raw almonds, coarsely chopped

2 or 3 apples, coarsely grated

Place oat groats in a FP and grind until fine. Add dates, raisins, almonds and apples and mix batter well. Mold into shapes and dehydrate at 90 degrees for about 12 hours or until desired texture is reached.

Sprouts

Ok no recipe for these, but these are what my sprouts looked like before I attempted to make bread (this is kamut). Austin kept saying that they look like maggots...rude! It's the only thing I've been able to sprout so far, but they didn't turn out too bad! Too bad I can't say the same thing about my bread! :(

Watermelon Soup (a.k.a. a smoothie in a bowl)

Ok I didn't get too creative with this one. Basically it's watermelon and mango that I put in a blender and made soupy. I should have added big chunks of fruit so it didn't feel like I was eating a smoothie with a spoon! But it was good none the less!

So I'll make sure to add more recipes once I make them!

No comments: