Thursday, September 4, 2008

Day 2

*Sorry if the dates on my blogs seem a little off. I always blog late at night so I'm writing about the 3rd, but technically it's the 4th..

Something really struck me today when I was reading Alissa Cohen's book Living on Live Food. She says: "Knowing how to eat a raw and living foods diet isn't enough. If you don't know why you're doing it - if you don't have a dream - you will fail." This is soooo true! So I've decided that my "why" is "because I want to be the healthiest I can be. Because I want to treat my body like the precious gift it is, so it in turn will treat my spirit with love and respect". When I think about it that way I realize that I'm not eating raw so that I can prove to anyone that I'm 100% raw all the time, but I'm eating raw foods because I feel they are the best food choice. But do I feel like they are the only food choice? No, and I think that's because it's unreasonable to think so. I think that there are some foods that were meant to be cooked, such as certain beans and potatoes, and since those foods are not bad for us then they cannot be bad if we eat them. On special occasions and when I feel like eating a cooked treat then I can say, "ok I'm going to go out to eat and get a yummy healthy dish, and if it happens to have something cooked in it then so what?" Honestly, am I eating raw because I never want to taste cooked food again because it's a carnal sin or something? No! I'm eating raw because that's the best fuel that I can put into my body, but some cooked foods are good too. The last time I did my 30 day challenge I came to the conclusion that there is absolutely nothing unhealthy about eating cooked rice/beans/grains. Are they the most healthy eaten in their raw or sprouted forms? Probably, but eating them cooked a few times a week will not hurt me, and will probably be beneficial in every way. I am still really trying to do my 30 day totally raw challenge (after all I am only on day 2 lol), but after that I am going to slowly start introducing those good cooked foods that I mentioned. I will not eat a lot of them, but I'll eat them when I feel like I need to. I have tried to listen to my body over the past year, and I have already decided that 90% raw works better for me than 100%. Ok that being said, do I sound like I'm justifying bad habits and bad foods? I hope not!

SO........today's menu was very limited, I wasn't feeling well (maybe detox?), but I got really hungry tonight and didn't have anything prepared, so I gave in and ate some Smart Pop :( I did however, resist zingers, so at least I am learning some self control!

1 banana
2 peaches
some Smart Pop

I really need to eat my produce that I bought a few days ago, and eat all of it!! I just need to eat more, period! I think tomorrow I am going to pack a salad and lots of fruit for work, and make a raw soup. I really love Alissa's corn chowder. I think I'll try her pea soup too. If it's good I'll share the recipe tomorrow! Oh I also got some locally grown green beans today, yumms.

No comments: