Monday, September 15, 2008

Oh my it's been a busy week!

Ok, so I have been HORRIBLE about posting this past week! I've been so busy, and out of town, and things have been a blur. I did get to go to Boise to see one of my favorite bands, Sonata Arctica, and it was so awesome! Ok, so every time I try to do one of the 30 day raw challenges something hinders me, and I can never finish it out. I lost track of what day I'm supposed to be on over the week, but I'm really thinking that there is no need for me to even do the 'raw challenges' anymore. I already know what I need to eat, and who cares really if I'm eating 100% except for myself? I think that's the whole point of the challenge, to do it for yourself, but I don't even need to do it for myself, so why am I doing it? I think the only thing I'm really accomplishing is confusion. I have managed to stay mostly raw, except I did eat cooked for my birthday on Saturday. Also, Sunday my mother in law brought me over a cake...and I ate half of it, (it was small!) lol! However it's obvious how chocolate cake effects me now, and it's not good. I've never felt like I needed to throw up after eating my raw creations (however I can't say that about my raw bread if I had eaten it), but after eating that cake I needed to lie down!

So, speaking of the raw bread...let's just say it was inedible (the picture was too horrible to post). I've decided that until I can move into a kitchen with adequate space/light that I am going to just buy my sprouts from the store rather than do it myself. In fact, I was at Whole Foods the other day and I saw some 7 grain sprouted bread for sale. I think that I'm going to have to start eating bread like that, because there is no way I'm going to find raw, sprouted bread for sale, and I'm not sure I'd want to eat it if I did! However, I haven't given up on making raw, sprouted crackers. That will be my next experiment! I've been doing a lot of research lately on whether or not raw, sprouted grains, or cooked grains are better. I've come to the conclusion that raw grains are certainly more packed with nutrients, but that cooked grains allow us to assimilate the nutrients better. I think a good mix of both would be conducive to a healthy diet. I also learned that flax seeds are not processed by the body in their whole form, so to get the most of the omega 3 that they offer they must be ground (and probably soaked as well). I am making raw Doritos soon, so I'll share if those turn out well.

I don't have any pictures to post yet because they are in my camera and the computer I'm on will not let me transfer them, but hopefully tomorrow I will have at least 2-3 things (with recipes) that I have made lately posted. I did make manage to make pie tart crusts, and they look yum!

I guess my next big experiment will be to start sprouting rice to see how it tastes and whether or not it's worth it to eat it raw rather than cooked. Beans will be next after that, although I think I can just buy bean sprouts from the store (the ones that can be eaten raw anyway...the ones that can't I will cook). Mung bean sprouts are mmm good!

Oh and I have to mention that I went all the way down to Sugarhouse on Saturday just to go to the one and only raw food restaurant in Utah, and they were closed until the 15th because they went to some raw food festival in Arizona. How sad for me! Hopefully soon I will have another reason to go down there... /tear.

Anyways, today I ate:

-a small salad
-a giant peach
-some pecans
-a baked potato (with butter...gasp!)
-some chocolate cake (blast that cake, staring at me from my fridge!)

I must make Austin finish that cake else it be my downfall.

Oh, I'm also going to try to put up my journals from the very first attempt I had at going raw a little over a year ago to commemorate my 1st year. I did a 30 day challenge and I learned a lot.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachael,

Thanks so much for your comment you left me!!

Hey, is your mom taking classes at Weber State? I think I see her after my M,W,F class but I'm not sure. I almost walked up to her today and asked "hey, are you Rachael's mother" and then I realized if I did that and she wasn't it would be an odd situation for everyone involved. haha...

Hey... your right, if your not doing it for you it's not worth doing! You don't have anything to prove, my friend. Our bodies tells us what is right and what is wrong. I think the important thing is to remember to listen to what our bodies are telling us. I think we forget how to do that!

Keep in touch!!!!

- Sarah

P.S. How are you enjoying this semester???

Bec, Tim and Boys said...

Happy Birthday (late)! Sad you weren't able to go the the raw food restaurant! I've always wanted to go to one. My mom and dad went a while back and the food was AWESOME she said. Especially the dessert! Good luck with the next time you go and I can't wait to hear how the food was! I think my mom has tried sprouted bread - I don't know how it worked for her though. Good luck with it! I think you are awesome!

Sara Bosler Castro said...

ME! I'm the reason for you to go down to that raw restaurant again. Tell me when and I'm there! And no worries about the chocolate cake thing. My roommates make the most delicious homemade oreos and I'm pretty sure I ate 12...I need help. Let just blame it on genes.