Sunday, September 7, 2008

Happy Day! Adventures with Sprouts

Alright...so today is "technically" day 6, but...yesterday was sort of "fall-off-the-wagon-day" so I have decided to count this as day 5, lol. Ok, ok, so I'm not doing 30 days consecutively but I'm still doing 30 days! Lol. Yesterday was my last cheat day, except for my b-day that is in 1 week. If I can make it raw that day then ok, but if not then ok too, as long as I keep it healthy.

So, today has been a happy day! I found my cousin's blogs from my sister's page and it was so good to read about their families and how they are doing! I miss everyone so much, all my friends and family are elsewhere it seems, and I'm under a rock here lol. Not really, but it's hard to keep in touch when life gets so hectic and full. I guess today I am just feeling grateful for life, and I have a lot more energy already since doing the 30 day challenge. I am a lot less lazy, although I feel like I still have a LOT to get in order. Did you know that laziness is a sign of disease? I never realized that, and I've been lazy for a long time!

So yesterday I started my sprouting, and today they are looking quite the same really, except my wheat berries look like they might be starting to split open to make way for a sprout. Hopefully tomorrow or the next day they'll be ready to use. I hope my kitchen gets enough light for them! It's amazing but since I've gone raw I feel like I have a new found respect for life in it's simplest form...the seed. It's amazing how things grow. I was thinking about the difference between plant forms of food and meat forms. I really do believe that God intended us to eat mostly plants, because a. He made it easy for us to create plant life, and b. We can benefit from a plant's fruit/seed/nut for years without killing the plant itself. But when it comes to meat, each time we eat it the animal has to give its life. We cannot create animal life, only take it away, and once we take the meat that we need, the animal is gone forever. Which seems more productive? I am starting to believe more and more every day that meat should only be eaten sparingly, and in times of need. I don't believe that it is wrong to eat animals, but I do believe that we eat them much too much. I've tried to find a word that describes what I could call myself or my thoughts on food, but ya know, I really don't want to be just a label. Why do I have to call myself anything, even a raw foodist? I think that if people ask about my chosen diet I'm just going to say "I try to eat the healthiest I can every day". :)

So today I am making a bunch of desserts to eat, like cashew cookies, a key lime pie, and also oatmeal cookies...all raw! Oh yes, it is going to be good! If I have enough walnuts I'm also going to try a milkshake...sounds strange, I know, but we'll see how it is! I'm charging my camera now so I'll be back later with some pictures...

5 comments:

Sara Bosler Castro said...

Ahhh cookies and pie that wont make me fat?? I'll take it! We're planning a raw food day NOW whether you like it or not, haha. Maybe for Thanksgiving we could do some food raw. Hmm...
All the food you make sounds SO good to me. I have to try it! You're diligence and passion for this stuff is incredible. There's no way I could make all that raw food from scratch. Thanks for the recipe book by the way! I want to use it, but I am a poor college student.

D and J Larson said...

Rachael! I'm glad you found me. Sounds like you as healthy as ever! that's amazing... I wonder why are family is all such health nuts? I'm loving your blog... it helps me get back to the basics... I had no idea about the toe thing?! I guess it comes from our family... Dan will now blame me for all the genetic problems no doubt! hope all is well...

Anonymous said...

There is this Korean lady who comes into my computer labs all the time. The other day she was in here making some fliers and coupons for the Korean fair her church is putting on. We got to talking and she went on this tangent about what kind of crap we eat in this country (haha). She said "all American's ever eat is meat, potatoes, salt and sugar. That is it. No one is creative here. Never." It was really cute how she said it but it was also really true...

No one needs titles, just be who you are. :)

Keep eating.

- Sarah

Bec, Tim and Boys said...

I like how you put a pic of you and Austin on your blog! So cute! I told my mom about your blog because she loves raw food, so she'll be checking it out sometime, I'm sure! I can't wait to see pics of all your raw creations!

Rachael said...

Thanks for commenting guys! I appreciate that you'd take time to read my boring blog! :) Love ya!