Tuesday, January 29, 2008

An interesting day

I am in kind of a rambling mood so I apologize/warn in advance! Well, over the weekend I went shopping with my cute little sis, and I needed some new pants, so I was having a dilemma: which size pants to buy? I am dedicated to raw food now, and I know that consequently I will shed inches, so I bought some pants that are 1 size too small. This will give me something to look forward to! One of the pairs is "skinny jeans" which I've never worn, but I know that when I can fit into them that I'll look proportionate and less like an orange on 2 toothpicks.

I had a craving all day for a pizza bread wrap stuffed with veggies, and covered in Caesar dressing...omg yum. Luckily, Alissa Cohen has great raw recipes in her book for this. I can't wait to make it! I wish I had thought of it earlier though, because today I had nothing to bring with me to work, and I was starving, so I went to the grocery store on my break. I must say, sometimes I do stupid things for no good reason and I don't know why. Example: wandering around the store on my break and choosing, of all things, microwaveable macaroni and cheese, just because it was $1. It seems as if the part of me who used to eat that junk surfaced for a moment and it "seemed like a good idea at the time". Nevermind that the ingredients list was a mile long and included, among chemicals I'd never heard of, palm oil. To me, if mac and cheese contains palm oil, well then something isn't right. Anyway maybe it's mostly because I've been eating mostly raw, whole food for 3 weeks, but I could only eat a few bites of the mac and cheese (which was bland, totally not worth it) and I felt like I was going to hurl. It was weird, I've never had a reaction like that to any food before (the flu is the exception). I swear the only thing that kept me from being sick was my heavenly Jonagold apple. It was the antidote to my poison.

So I've come to the conclusion that some days are really good raw food days, where every recipe turns out scrumptious, and then other days the raw food gods like to point and laugh, and play a few jokes. Today was one of the latter. Being as I have a sick sense of humor, I've decided to document it with pictures too! Anyway, tonight was supposed to be wheat crackers (not raw, but I'm working on making my own) topped with slices of tomato and avocado, and 1 olive. So I thought while I was at Smiths that I'd try one of their organic avocados...ya that was my first mistake. I took it home, all eager for it's deliciousness, and then disaster struck. Let this be a lesson - never and I repeat, never, eat an avocado that looks like this, or you just might...well, die. I'm serious. :)
Needless to say I will not be going to Smiths again for my organic produce...that is just gnarly. So, sans the avocado I still managed to make some pretty little tomato sandwiches, that I was greatly excited to eat...
...that was until my cat decided that she needed to sit on my lap, and then proceed to jump on the table with my beautiful creations. Sadly, I watched my dinner transform into this, right before my eyes:And it saddened me. Luckily, however, I still had a bit of tomato left over, so I just made a few more sandwiches and ate them along with a small bag of raw sweet potato chips.

Tomorrow I am going to the store to grab everything I'll need to make pizza bread and wraps. I hope they are good!