Friday, January 25, 2008

Raw Balls, and Eggless Deviled Eggs

Ok, so "raw balls" sounds kinda funny, and there are many different versions, but I invented my own! I guess pretty much everything could be considered a "raw ball" as long as it's raw, and shaped into a ball, but I wanted to make something that would be a good dessert, and also help me get enough calories for the day. So I made chocolate and vanilla treats, and they were scrumptious!
Rachael's Raw Balls (tee hee):

base:
2/3 C macadamia nuts (can use walnuts for less fat)
2/3 C cashews
2/3 C shredded, dried coconut

chocolate sauce:
1/8 C honey
1/8 C carob powder
salt
bit of water to blend

vanilla mix:
2 Tbs raw almond butter, heaping
1 Tbs vanilla extract
salt for zing
bit of water for thinning

Put all the base ingredients in a food processor and blend until slightly chunky. Add to either chocolate or vanilla sauce, mix in a bowl, and form into balls. Refrigerate or freeze to harden. Enjoy!

~~~~~~

This next recipe was taken from Raw Baby Alex, and it's Egg-less Deviled Eggs:

Hollowed out cucumber pieces, filled with the following:

2 cups cashews - (Ground fine in the coffee grinder, or food processor)
Celery diced fine
1 Green onion diced fine
Garlic powder to taste
Mustard powder
Ground black pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons pure water

I placed all the ingredients into a bowl and stirred until it was all incorporated. Add more water for blending if necessary. Spoon mixture into the hollowed out cucumber pieces. Sprinkle the tops with paprika. Serve chilled.

Ok, so mine don't look very "egglike", but I was in a hurry! Still, they were tasty! I actually recommend going easy on the mustard powder, and maybe only using either the garlic powder or the onion, depending on how spicy you like them! I also imagine they would taste good with some chopped black olives thrown in for more zing, but I didn't try it so don't take my word for it! This recipe also inspired me to come up with one of my own, so I will be sure to make it soon, and share it if it's good!