Friday, January 4, 2008

Vitamin B12

One of my biggest concerns with my new diet is that I'm not getting enough vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin B12. I did a lot of research on the best plant sources of calcium, protein, and iron, and I am confident I can reach my needs there, but there really isn't a true reliable source of B12 that comes from plants. Some people claim that you can get it from nori and such, but I read that those forms aren't efficiently used by humans. So, I decided that I would eat eggs to get my B12, which is better than meat. However, upon further reading, there are some studies that say that there is enough B12 in 2 eggs to last us 3 years without a deficiency...therefore, our bodies need very little B12 to function properly. I could always take a supplement, but I don't like the idea of them for some reason, don't really know why. So the other day I discovered Life Water by Sobe, and it is fortified with B12. That's kinda supplemental, and it's in the form of a sugary drink, but I'd rather drink that than take a pill. Also, Propel Calcium water is fortified with B12. Those drinks do have carbs in them from the sugar, but they also supplement with vitamin C, E, calcium, and a few other things. So, I am wondering which is better between those flavored waters, or pure water and an egg once in awhile? The pure water and egg are actually natural, and the flavored water is manufactured, but flavored water comes without all the egg's extra fat and cholesterol. I am confused on this!

So I seem to be doing just fine so far, it's not nearly as hard to adjust as it was the first time. I've got lots of yummy recipes lined up, just need to go to the store tonight and stock up for the weekend. I think I have lost 3 lbs, but that's probably water weight. I also woke up very happy today, I think my winter depression is lifting. Sometimes I wonder what my "ideal" weight actually is, because I honestly can't remember what it's like to be in impeccable shape. I do know that I have a lot of crap stored up that my body needs to release, a lot of old junk from years past. It's like my body is an old, dingy closet that needs to be de-cluttered and repainted. It could take awhile for me to completely detox...anywhere from a few months to 2 years. Oh, btw if you are looking for raw recipes, the best place I've found to find great ideas is the raw food talk forums on alissacohen.com. Someone on there found raw pasta! They are 100% raw kelp noodles. The website is www.kelpnoodles.com, and the brand is Sea Tangle. I wonder if I can find them at my health food store so that I don't have to order them by the case. I'll have to do some hunting. I hope they would taste good, because I could make the yummiest pasta primavera with them.