Saturday, January 12, 2008

Pasta!

Today I got a Santa Fe salad From Arbys (I know, "bad" huh :P), and it had chicken it in, which was weird because I haven't had meat in 1 1/2 weeks. A strange thing happened to me too...I found that my taste buds are sharpening, and the taste of the chicken was too strong and not too tasty. In fact, Aust ended up eating half of it. The rest was good though, although I could make my own almost raw version at home, if I could find the right sauce for it. That seems to be the key to making a good dish...the sauce. This experience has shown me that I'm really not craving meat, because I have no desire to eat it again for awhile, especially hamburger. My pasta primavera was good, but the sauce wasn't the best. It was pretty watery. I don't know if I should attempt to make anything creamy w/ nuts until I can get a VitaMix, because they end up grainy and gross. Maybe I'll try boxed almond milk in my next alfredo sauce, with more spice and less lemon. It just needs to be thicker/creamier. The zucchini noodles as "pasta" ended up being really tasty, and I've never been a fan of zucchini. They sort of absorb the flavor of whatever sauce is put on them. They also look just like pasta (but have a crunchier texture of course). I had a beautiful pic of them but lost it!!

Pasta Primavera

Wide zucchini noodles (just use the veg peeler)
Fresh garden peas
Chopped red pepper
Small chopped carrot
Baby tomatoes, halved
Fresh shredded basil
Fresh chopped parsley
Lemon zest


Alfredo Sauce
Adapted from Rawvolution’s recipe

¾ cup water
½ tsp honey
1 clove garlic
¼-1/3 cup lemon juice (unless you like a lot of lemon I'd go easy on it)
1 tsp sea salt
1 ¼ cup cashews

Blend all ingredients until smooth.

I feel grateful because I'm getting to the point where I can appreciate the smell and look of cooked treats, but I don't really crave them or even have a desire to eat them when I see others eating. I am still in an exploratory stage with raw recipes, so maybe when that dies down a little I'll start craving the cooked more...who knows. Or maybe by then I'll have amassed so many scrumptious raw recipes that I'll be satisfied. I hope so! I am no natural born cook so for me it's all about trial and error.